Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Welcome

I thought I would start out with a little about myself and my best little buddy. Ever since I was young I have had an overwhelming passion for my canine companions. When I look at my furry friends, I see them as family rather than simply pets. This blog is going to focus on my newest obsession, my beagle Tye or you will also hear me refer to him as Mr. Tye. I have had him since he was 10 weeks old and he is currently almost 4. I have had close to 4 years of loving and obsessing about this little dog and I intend to continue on this blog.

Over the last 10 years or so I have been interested in the art of training dogs. I call it an art because there are so many interpretations to what a trained dog looks like. I believe that training your furry friend is a very important part of owning one of these wonderful animals (or should I say owning you). In high school my parents bought a new member of the family. This is my much loved Golden Retriever that currently resides with my mom. My interest in training really started with this wonderful dog and it continues today. I started out taking Roxy to a training academy in my home town and I intended to get her to the put of being able to show her. I think that was a little ambitious, she is a lot more stubborn than you would imagine. I went through many obedience courses and she still was unable to work in the field freely (I had to purchase a very long leash to train her in the open field). Long story short, I have a novice background in training and I intend to learn more and share it on this blog.

Even though I preach this I can honestly tell you that Tye is a bit overwhelming at times when it comes to his behavior. Throughout the blog I intend to entertain you with many Mr. Tye stories and behavior problems that I have enabled for so long. Over the past few years I have claimed to have many excuses, such as not enough time, that his behavior is funny and cute, and that he knows what he is doing and he makes that choice. Well enough with excuses, I am now taking the much needed time to work on his training (ironically I am in graduate school and I have less time than ever before). I am taking a class on Inquiry based learning and this blog is part of that. This class is giving me a much needed excuse to work on Mr. Tye's training.

So here we go, I will update you all on his progress, new techniques that I have learned and anything else that I find relevant to this topic. Enjoy learning with me and my little dog on this training adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment